Pump Room Gardens, Royal Leamington Spa
Latest news, January 8th, 2014
Warwick District Council and the Friends of the Pump Room Gardens are delighted that the Heritage Lottery Fund has approved a grant of £49,000 to prepare detailed plans for a £1 million restoration of the Gardens.
WDC, The Friends and Warwickshire County Council will be working in close partnership to produce these plans and develop exciting new events for the Gardens. The public will be consulted about the restoration works and new events. See the full Press Release.
The Friends are now seeking pledges (to be redeemed only when the restoration is anout to start). Pledges may be made by completing the Pledge Form.
In 2008 the Leamington Society and CLARA (the Central Leamington Residents’ Association) joined forces to raise funds to restore the Victorian arches in the Pump Room Gardens in Leamington. In 1875 eight arches had been erected in the Pump Room Gardens; by the end of 2008 the remnants of only two survived. Two more amenity societies, the Royal Leamington Buildings Conservation Trust and the Warwickshire Gardens Trust, joined the project. Representatives from the four societies formed a steering group (the Friends of the Pump Room Gardens) to promote the project.
Warwick District Council agreed to contribute £40,000 provided the Friends raised the remainder of the funds needed, about £80,000. This was achieved; the manufacturing is completed and the arches installed. Nearly all the work was carried out by local firms. Worrall’s Engineering, whose premises are only a few miles from the gardens, took the lead. The crowns were gilded by another local business in Leamington, and the electrics done by yet another local firm.
The arches, known as the Linden Arches because they are under an avenue of lime trees, were formally opened by HRH the Duke of Gloucester on 7th June, 2012 in celebration of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
For the Story of the Restoration of the Linden Arches in Royal Leamington Spa
The Heritage Lottery Fund has awarded a grant to the Friends to study the gardens. Working with a team of volunteers the Friends have produced a report on the history of the gardens since their creation in 1814, and their present use. The Pump Room Gardens are the village green of Leamington and the report also suggests ways in which the gardens might be improved. This study, referred to known as a Conservation Statement, has been submitted to Warwick District Council which owns the gardens.
The project promotes knowledge of the gardens’ history across Warwick District and throughout Warwickshire. This part of the project, led by the Heritage Learning team at Warwickshire County Council, is working with local primary school children and seeks reminiscences about the gardens from local people.